The Diabetes Training and Technical Assistance Center (DTTAC) at Emory University’s Rollins School of Public Health is training and preparing qualified individuals to serve as Master Trainers Select, who can provide Lifestyle Coach Training for the National Diabetes Prevention Program (National DPP) for in-person delivery of the lifestyle change program within their organization or network.
The DTTAC Master Trainer Select program allows for greater sustainability within large organizations and systems that are delivering the National DPP lifestyle change program, while maintaining a high standard of quality assurance. It is not intended to prepare independent trainers or national trainers.
Benefits of the Program for Organizations
- Sustainability: Having a Master Trainer Select allows organizations to scale and sustain lifestyle change programs efficiently over time, as the number of program participants grows or as additional Lifestyle Coaches are needed.
- Quality Control & Standards: According to the CDC, having Lifestyle Coaches who are properly trained to implement the lifestyle change program is vital for high program quality and consistent results. Having effective Lifestyle Coaches to deliver the program starts with quality training from a Master Trainer, ongoing evaluation and professional development.
Requirements for Master Trainers Select and their Organizations
Master Trainers Select and their organizations are required to comply with the following quality-assurance steps to achieve and maintain Master Trainer Select status:
- Participate in a one-time, in-person, two-day Master Trainer Select Training ($1500 fee)
- For 12 months following the in-person training:
- Register each Lifestyle Coach Training they facilitate for their organization or its network with DTTAC (including the date, location, and number of participants)
- Ensure a DTTAC online post-evaluation survey is completed by a minimum number of participants in each Lifestyle Coach Training that they facilitate
- As needed, interact with DTTAC staff via phone and email to receive feedback and technical assistance based on participant evaluations and to stay up-to-date on resources and curriculum
- Train within a defined audience and a maximum number of trainings agreed upon with DTTAC, using DTTAC-provided standard training slides and materials
- Renew Master Trainer Select status annually, participate in an annual online refresher course and continue to comply with the bullets above for the next year ($500 annual fee)
Read more about the Master Trainer Select Quality Control Process.
Qualifications for Master Trainer Select Applicants
Qualified applicants for the Master Trainer Select program:
- Are affiliated with an organization that has pending or full CDC recognition;
- Have completed formal Lifestyle Coach Training from a CDC-recognized national provider;
- At minimum, have direct experience with in-person delivery of the National DPP, having led at least one group of participants through the yearlong program prior to attending the Master Trainer Select Training.
- Demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to facilitate versus teach
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to others
- Understand the importance of program and training fidelity
- Understanding of CDC DPRP standards
- Ability to role model facilitation skills
Read this article for guidance on identfying the appropriate Master Trainer Select for your organization.
Apply for the Master Trainer Select Program
Overview of the Application Process
1. Complete the Online Application (Click here for application).
- Review the list of application questions.
- Please be prepared to submit the following when you begin the Online Application:
- Answers to the application questions
- An up-to-date copy of your résumé
- An Organizational Commitment Form completed by your organizational sponsor
- Upon submitting your Online Application you will receive a confirmation email from DTTAC. If you do not receive a confirmation, please email email@example.com
2. Qualified candidates will be contacted by DTTAC staff to schedule a telephone interview with the Master Trainer Select Director.
3. Accepted applicants will receive an invitation to register for the Master Trainer Select Training.
- Travel costs are not included in the registration fee and accepted applicants will need to make their own travel arrangements.
Master Trainer Select Trainings will take place in Atlanta, Georgia on the following dates from 8:30am to 5pm both days:
- March 1-2, 2017
- June 21-22, 2017
- October 2017 (dates TBD)
Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. Applicants are interviewed and accepted into the program on a rolling basis. You are encouraged to apply early - trainings are filled as applicants are accepted into the program. If the training you would like to attend reaches capacity prior to your application being reviewed, you will be notified and considered for the next training date.
Find out more
Click here for a listing of all participating DTTAC Master Trainers Select and their organizations.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, and sign up to receive our Lifestyle Coach Training Newsletter to receive information for prospective applicants and to stay informed about future training opportunities.
Congratulations to all DTTAC Master Trainers Select,
especially the newest group, trained in October 2015: